George Bush has squandered American lives, money, international prestige, and honor in what he claims he must do to make us safer. But it is all a smoke screen.
Here‘s more evidence. The Bush administration forced the exodus of many of our most experienced nuclear weapons experts from key roles in the State Department. Why. Retribution. Here’s a quote from McClatchy’s Nukes & Spooks:
We reportedmore than two years ago on how a reorganization of the State Department’s arms control and nonproliferation bureaus led to an exodus of experts with decades of experience in these highly specialized areas. Moreover, many State Department experts saw the reorganization as having strong political overtones, punishing those who were out of step with Bush administration dogma and elevating allies of former Undersecretary of State John Bolton.
So let’s list the ways Bush has made us less safe:
- Increased terrorist recruitment with his reckless mid-East war.
- Eased pollution laws, meaning there are more poisons in our air.
- Rejected the fact of global climate change, failed to do anything to begin curbing greenhouse gasses.
- Syphoned resources into his military buccaneering, let America’s bridges and roads and other infrastructure deteriorate.
- Twiddles his thumbs while energy prices sky-rocket, causing many people to choose between heating their homes and getting adequate health care.
- Deliberately lies about Iraq, puts Americans in the line of fire for no good reason.
These are just the ones I can come up with off the top of my head. But it is clear that Bush has done more to undermine the safety of Americans than Osama bin Laden ever dreamed.